by Guest     January 11, 2010    
Overall rating 

Function 

Power 

Quality 

Value 

Comfort 

Problematic Hitachi CW-40

I bought the Hitachi CW-40 to do a quick small project that I had been commissioned for. I am a professional woodworker and this is at least my 3rd scroll saw. The saw had adequate power to cut through the 1/2" MDF I was using at the time. The saw was quiet and it passed the nickel test for vibration. Installing pin blades is a little akward but I was ok with it. I did not expect this saw to be an upper end saw or expect to perform like one and it didn't. There are what I consider to be 2 MAJOR PROBLEMS with the Hitachi CW-40.

1. This saw will not accept a standard spiral blade. I tried just about everything. The blade either broke, bent, kinked, or slipped, every single time. My feeling is that a spiral blade is not a new invention, or rare, or even uncommon and this saw should be able to accept spiral blades without a problem just as a lot of cheaper scroll saws do, such as the Delta or Ryobi products. I can only credit this problem to poor design.

2. I tried contacting Hitachi customer service about the spiral blade problem. They had NO SOLUTIONS, NO SUGGESTIONS, NO RETROFIT BLADE CLAMPS, and gave me no indication that they were interested in helping me solve the problem with my brand new saw. Poor customer service is inexcusable.

The bottom line is that this is an ok saw if you never want to install a common spiral blade or if you never have a need for customer service. Otherwise, don't buy this saw.

Pros
Low Vibration, Soft Start
Cons
Poor Customer Service, Unable to use Spiral Blades
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

3 results - showing 1 - 3  

Ordering 

Already have an account?
Written by Chris
January 11, 2010
Thanks for adding your review. I was considering this saw when I was looking for a scroll saw. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a RBI Hawk scroll saw on eBay. I paid more, but I did get a better saw.
Written by kevin o'connell
September 16, 2012
I had a problem initially with the spiral blades on the lower clamp as well, but if you pull out the clamp screw completely and lightly grind the clamping surface flat, the problem was alleviated although not completely eliminated. Have you tried the NS (for New Spiral) blades from Flying Dutchman? Might also make an improvement for you. Good Luck
Written by Kplumley823
July 03, 2021
Not sure what the issue is but I've used the spiral blades in mine many times. In fact I've not found a blade that didn't work in it. My only complaint is the variable speed control knob is junk, sometimes works, sometimes not.
3 results - showing 1 - 3