by PutnamEco     November 25, 2009    
Overall rating 

Function 

Power 

Quality 

Value 

Comfort 

A Nice Set with a Couple of Minor Flaws

I don't usually buy yellow tools, but needing a plunge router quickly, so as not to hold up a job,I went to a local big box and picked up the DW618B3 set. Most of my other routers are older models, so I was really surprised by how much I like the soft start feature in this router, it really does make a difference in usability.
bosch dlr165k I really like how the plunge base works, especially how it is of the non auto locking variety, as this seems to speed my ability to produce both keyholes and cabinet shelf pin holes. The D handle base with it's trigger switch also is a boon to speedy edge routing. To bad they include a cheesy stamped steel edge guide. Nowhere near the quality of either the Bosch or Porter Cable edge guides. While the edge guide does work, it does nothing to inspire confidence.
The standard router base holds the router motor quite well. It is easy to adjust the height and fit my hand comfortably. In this base the router has a very low profile.
The motor feels fairly powerful for a mid range tool, it doesn't seem prone to stalling if kept within its limits. the one gripe I have with the motor is that the shaft lock doesn't really lock the shaft. I wouldn't have complained if they did not include this feature, but if they are going to include it, it should work. They only include one wrench, again stamped steel, in this kit. The removable power cord is an additional feature which could come in handy, should you need a quick replacement.
The case is the size of a small suitcase and can be quite tricky to fit everything back into.You probably should pay close attention when you first start removing things.
I have not used the dust collection capabilities of this set (some shrouding and integral ducting is included in the set) preferring to work where dust is not an issue.

Pros
Soft start, excellent plunge base
Cons
Stamped sheet metal edge guide, non functioning shaft lock
Made in
Mexico
Add Media
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Ordering 

Already have an account?
Written by PutnamEco
June 20, 2010
Update, today the speed control on my router died, the router still functions at full speed, I can no longer regulate its speed.
1 results - showing 1 - 1